Skip to main content

Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches with Pink Buttercream Icing {A February Recipe}


I don't ever really celebrate Valentine's Day; February is usually busy with my Dad's bday, my sister's and my bday. But I do love some VDay desserts and I do enjoy sending my niece a Valentine's Day card. But is it a Hallmark holiday? Yes! I also love pink and dark chocolate so I'm going to give Valentine's desserts a 10. They are fun and delish and it's nice to give treats to your loved ones.

I love making buttercream icing and I'm currently obsessed with Trader Joe's dark frozen cherries ever since I bought them to have as a snack (frozen cherries are fun to eat). I also love the super dark, amazingly beautiful cherry juice they have when they begin to melt and I thought coloring some icing would work well...it definitely did. You can also color icing with strawberry juice, blueberry juice, even beet juice although I wold reach for a fruit first. You only need a little juice, mix and there you have a glorious pink icing. Add a ton of juice and you get a darker pink. You can also pour the juice in your water to flavor it. Anyway, cherry juice worked so well for this recipe, it's healthy and great to have frozen cherries in your freezer.


I bought steel cut quick cook oats instead of regular oats and I thought, oh boy, this isn't going to make oat flour very well but it ended up working out so great. I usually use butter in my cookie recipes but I used coconut oil because it was melted and ready to go. The coconut sugar in this recipe makes the cookies darker so use white if you want them to look lighter in color.



2 cups of oat flour (oats in your food processor)
1/3 cup of coconut sugar (or 1/4 cup of maple syrup but use less milk)
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of sea salt
1/4 +1 tbsp of coconut oil
1/4 cup of vanilla soy milk
1/2 cup of chocolate chips
Use this icing

Put the oats in your food processor and let them become flour. Turn the processor on high then turn off and move the oats around them turn on again. Make sure the oats are as flour-like as possible. Add the baking soda, sugar and salt and keep processing. Add the oil and milk and watch it turn to a cookie dough. Transfer to a bowl and hand mix in the chocolate chips. Form into even cookie shapes with your hands and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely before icing them. Put icing between two cookies; serve or store in an airtight container in your fridge. Take out for a little bit to let the cookie soften before eating.


I hope you've had a great start to the new year! I'm going to try to blog alot more than I have been!



Comments