Skip to main content

Chocolate Pound Cake


I saw a chocolate pound cake at the farmers market this morning and was about to get it. It was a small piece and it was $5 and I wondered if all the ingredients were organic and non-GMO so I put it down and decided to make my own. I had all the ingredients at home except for enough sugar so I had to use a little confectioner sugar and maple syrup instead of coconut sugar. I always use maple syrup or coconut sugar because they are more natural, not as processed sources of sweetener. But you gotta use what you have!


This cake tastes delish, it's fudgey and you can taste the apple cider vinegar in it, which I love. It compliments the chocolate taste and gives it a nice finish. However, use less vinegar if you don't want that taste. I whipped all of the ingredients up in my food processor and used a loaf pan to bake. It took two seconds to mix and only a half hour to bake. This cake has no icing so it's perfect for your morning cup of Joe as it's not overly sweet. However, don't let me stop you from adding your favorite chocolate or vanilla icing. If you need a rad chocolate icing that's thick and rich, make this.


I'm going to work on a post about how my routine changed since I went to London. I feel so much more productive and happy since I returned and I just feel like sharing this with you. Traveling is cool. Some of us can't really afford to do alot of it, and since I moved to NYC four years ago, it was the first time I've traveled anywhere but local places. But, sometimes you need to just throw caution to the wind and go. I'll save all my thoughts about this for the next blog post so in the meantime enjoy this pound cake recipe.


3 cups of oat or any flour
3/4 cup of maple syrup or 1 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
2 tsp of baking powder
2 tsp of sea salt
1 cup of cocoa
3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
1 1/2 cups of non dairy milk
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar


In your food processor or with a hand mixer, whip together the dry ingredients then add the wet ingredients except the vinegar. Mix well then slowly add in the vinegar. Taste the batter and add more sweetener if need be. Brush oil on the bottom and sides of a loaf pan then pour the batter in. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. I like my cake fudgey so I baked mine for 25 minutes. Turn upside down and take out of the loaf pan, letting it cool on a plate or cutting board. Slice and serve. Store in a glass dish with an airtight lid and consume within 2-3 days.