Skip to main content

Protein Packed Pancakes

 
I'm currently home visiting my family amidst a heat wave which normally calls for raw fruits and veggies but this morning I wanted pancakes. Last time I was home I made a date syrup and froze it so out it came along with the coconut cream I just bought. Isn't Trader Joe's awesome? And it's even better in the burbs because you can put your bags in a car and not have to lug them on the subway! These pancakes are packed with healthy plant-based protein and healthy, gluten-free oat flour. I know you will love these; my mom, who is not vegan, loved them!

I usually love pouring maple syrup on my pancakes but I forgot to get some (along with cocoa) so I pulled out my homemade date syrup and  Earth Balance butter. Date syrup is the bomb and just as much sweetness as maple syrup while having the added convenience of being easy to make at home. I can't not buy the canned coconut milk in Trader Joe's; I usually avoid canned goods because of the BPA risk but this stuff is so yum and apparently the can is BPA free. Don't rely on canned goods but if you need to buy canned products, just buy from a reputable, fair-trade source.

I bought a camera, a Canon Rebel that I have no idea how to use yet so my phone pics were actually way better until I get used to changing the settings on my Canon. I'm meeting my friend soon so I'm going to ask her advice and then get to taking a ton of high quality pics. Food pics are tricky, the lighting has to be perfect as does the angle and plating of the food. I'm still learning....onto the pancake recipe!

These pancakes have hemp seeds and peanut butter which are two incredibly protein-filled ingredients. A lot of people think it's difficult to get enough protein when you are vegan but nothing could be further from the truth. Whole grains, peanut butter, hemp seeds, leafy greens, tofu etc etc are all examples of plant-based protein. You can cook them all in various delicious recipes and never have to think about meat again. So, don't let people discourage you from the plant-based lifestyle by bringing up nutrition. You are fine, go vegan.


1 cup of oat flour (rolled oats in the food processor)
2 tsp of baking powder
1 ripe banana
1 tsp of coconut sugar
3 tbsp of hemp seeds
2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
3/4 cup of unsweetened soy milk

Syrup: 7 medjool dates, pitted, and water in the food processor until it's a syrup consistency

Add toppings like butter or coconut cream or chocolate chips :) Whatever you wish!

Put all of the pancake ingredients in your food processor and process on high. Add more milk if you need the batter to be thinner. Put 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a non stick pan and cook the pancakes on both sides until they bubble. You will know when to flip them when they are golden brown and easy to flip. No need to add more coconut oil during cooking, 1 tbsp is enough and it is a super healthy source of fat with a high flash point. Coconut oil won't burn and give off carcinogens when you cook with it. Aren't pancakes grand???

Did you like this post? Then subscribe to my blog and get all my posts by email!


Comments