Skip to main content

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream icing


My stress eating during this pandemic is slowing down (yay, I only had one of these cupcakes after I made them) but I still have the urge to bake. These cupcakes are amazing and I used my usual icing for them (get lemons or lemon juice!) Other than that, I am just taking one day at a time during this period of isolation and trying to put good food in my body and move everyday (mostly weight lifting)

You should have all the ingredients for these cupcakes in your pantry but I also added a cool unusual ingredient: blackstrap molasses. It goes so well with pumpkin and it has a great amount of iron in it...and I want to use it up. You don't need to add the molasses but I like the subtle taste. I also used powdered sugar because I had no other sweetener but feel free to use coconut or brown sugar. These cupcakes turn out pretty moist and springy and taste great with and without the icing.




1.5 cups of oat flour
1/2 cup of coconut or brown sugar
1/2 tsp of baking powder and baking soda
2 tbsp of pumpkin spice or cinnamon
1/2 cup of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup of non dairy milk
1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp of blackstrap molasses


Icing: whip together softened butter, 6 heaping tbsps of powdered sugar and juice from a lemon wedge. Hand mix. Add more sugar to make the icing thicker. Add more lemon if you want a tarter taste. Place in the fridge while making and baking the cupcakes.



Place quick cook oats in your food processor and process into flour. Or place oat flour in your food processor. Add the other dry ingredients and mix well. Mix the milk, pumpkin puree, molasses and vinegar in a small bowl and mix well. Pour the wet ingredients into the food processor and process on high. Scoop into cupcakes molds and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.


Since oven temps vary so much and I have an old oven, I usually just check on what I'm baking. After 10 minutes, these cupcakes were springy when I checked on them so I turned off the oven and them sit in the oven for 5 more minutes. So they were in the oven for about 15 minutes. Let cool completely before you ice them. Store in the fridge in an airtight container and eat within 2ish days.




Comments