Skip to main content

Mango and Sweet Sticky Rice


This is my favorite dessert!!  Ok, one of my favorite desserts because I mean there's cake and ice cream haha. I love ordering this dessert when I'm at my favorite thai place, it's light and sweet and very tasty. The recipe turned out well; I did overcook the rice slightly but it was still all good. You will need to use sushi rice for this recipe since it is sticky so head out and get that whenever you can. Grab some canned coconut milk and maple syrup as well and you are set! Oh, and of course, a few mangos because who can eat just one. You will only need to slice about half the mango but why not eat the rest??

Usually this recipe is made with sugar but I made it with maple syrup so it's slightly healthier and is less likely to spike your blood sugar. Coconut milk....how awesome is coconut milk??  I buy the light coconut milk usually but you can use the full fat for this recipe. I just love how tasty coconut milk is on its own, no sweetener, no processing, right out of the can, organic and so awesome. I have not purchased a ton of the coconut milk lately because it has alot of fat but when I buy it, I HAVE to use it in a new, awesome recipe. Buy coconut milk and just appreciate it for what it is: yummy, healthy plant based milk that is so versatile. Why would anyone buy cow's milk when there is coconut milk everywhere? What is your favorite plant based milk?

So, without further delay, here is the recipe and preparation:

1 cup of uncooked sushi rice
1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
1 mango, slice 
1 can of light or full fat coconut milk
Sesame seeds (optional)


Cook your sushi rice according to the package and set aside. Don't overcook it like I did but even if you do, this recipe is still awesome :) Combine the can of coconut milk and maple syrup in a small saucepan and heat on low, mixing well. While the milk and syrup are heating up, slice the mango into long pieces.


Spoon the rice onto a plate and pour the coconut milk and maple syrup mixture on top slowly. Put the slices of mango on top of the rice and milk and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the mango (I didn't have any, this is an optional step). Serve and enjoy! 

Notes: if you need a bigger sweet fix, add more maple syrup to the milk or pour syrup over the rice after serving. Taste the coconut milk while it's heating up and make sure it's sweet enough to your liking. You won't need to use all the coconut milk/maple syrup mixture for the recipe so just refrigerate what you don't use. Buy BPA-free canned coconut milk.

Want my recipes delivered right to your inbox? Click here to sign up! Oh and how cute is my neph-dog photo bombing this photo???



Comments