Skip to main content

Curry Rice and Mixed Greens Sushi


When I make rice in my rice maker, I add the tiniest big of water so that the rice ends up sticky and not water-logged. The worst is when the rice doesn't absorb the water and it ends up awful. I pour enough water in my rice maker just to cover the rice, pat it down so it's completely under water and it turns out great. So much so that I didn't need to make sushi rice for this recipe, I just used the rice as is. When I say sushi rice, I mean I didn't need to add sugar and vinegar to make it sticky rice. I added curry powder, turmeric, sea salt and pepper and it was pretty amazing.

After I made the rice, I ate some and then put the leftovers away in the fridge. An hour later, I was thinking about sushi and wanted to give this recipe a try. I only made one sushi roll, which is perfect for an afternoon snack, so I wasn't stuffed afterwards. I have spinach and arugula in my fridge from the farmers market and I used that for the rolls as well as my leftover cashew dressing as a dip. Oh my, what a healthy, delish snack.

Rice:

3/4 cup of dry brown rice

1 cup of filtered water
2 tsp of turmeric
2-3 tsp of curry powder
2 tsp of sea salt and pepper

Rolls:

1/2 cup of cooked rice
A handful of mixed greens
1 seaweed roll

Cashew dressing/dip:
1/4 cup of raw cashews soaked in hot water
3 tbsp of spicy mustard (or more if you love it)
3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
Juice from 1 small lemon
2 tbsp of hemp seeds
Filtered water
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp of chopped onion
2 cloves of fresh garlic
For the rice: cook the rice in a  pot or rice cooker. Add just enough water to cover the rice. On the stove, cook on low, covered; in a rice cooker, follow the directions for whatever rice you use. Season with the spices and mix the rice.




For the roll: put your seaweed roll on wax paper or a sushi mat and spread the rice on top evenly, except on the top and bottom edges of the seaweed. You will need to wet the edges and leave room to roll it. Add the greens on top of the rice. Roll the seaweed, wet the top and bottom edges and press down so the sushi roll closes and the seaweed edges stick together. Using a wet, sharp knife, cut the sushi roll into a few pieces.


For the dressing: soak the cashews for a few hours or with very hot water for a few minutes. Rinse with hot water and put in your food processor with the other ingredients. Add water to get it going but add slowly and not alot.The hemp seeds are added for extra protein. If you don't have nutritional yeast, it's ok. I used Trader Joe's deli style spicy mustard.

There you have it!! Asian and Indian cuisine meet and it's fantastic. It's so easy making sushi vegan. 


Comments