Skip to main content

Date Sweetened Creamy Hot Chocolate


When I think of a comfort drink, I think of a homemade coffee smoothie or a hot chocolate. Now that it's cold pretty consistently, I've been craving hot drinks lately. I'm still doing a sugar detox because I really went wild the past few months so this hot chocolate is only sweetened with dates, nothing else. Honestly, I haven't thought much about sugar and I feel wonderful. Dates can sweeten pretty much anything and they are more than enough to make your recipes taste great without throwing yourself into a food coma.


I took to buying deglet dates at Trader Joe's lately because 1. they are cheaper than medjool and 2. they are less calories for a few more. There is about 110 calories in 5 small deglet dates and they are just as delicious as medjool dates. Want a chewy, decadent snack? Get some medjool dates but for recipes such as raw desserts and smoothies, use deglet dates. I also make my hot chocolate with canned coconut milk because it's super duper creamy. I buy light coconut milk to cut down on so much fat but you can buy full fat coconut milk or any milk you wish, actually. But I love canned light coconut milk.


All you need is your food processor for this recipe and a small pot to heat everything. Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy 😄

1 cup of plant-based milk
1.5 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa
5 deglet dates, soaked in hot water
2 tsp of cinnamon


Soak your dates in hot water for 5 minutes. Put the dates in your food processor with a little bit of the milk and pulse until the dates are almost processed. Add the rest of the ingredients and process on high. It will become a creamy chocolate mixture. Pour in the small pan and heat until desired temperature. Enjoy curled up on the couch!

Did you like this post? Then subscribe to my blog and get all my posts by email!





Comments