Skip to main content

Roasted Miso Chickpeas


This recipe is so simple; it focuses on the versatility and awesomeness of chickpeas. I love chickpeas. They are perfect for everything, baking, cooking, snacking, making burgers, making cookie dough, salad toppings, the possibilities are just endless. I buy my beans in the bulk aisle at Whole Foods. They are organic and you get more for your money. I store them in airtight containers in my cupboard and make a ton of beans on Sundays.

In case you don't know, when you buy beans in bulk, they require soaking and cooking before you consume. Not every bean requires soaking but chickpeas definitely do. The soaking helps remove debris and gets them ready for cooking. Soak overnight and you are set. Put the chickpeas in a big bowl and cover them very well, with more than twice the water than chickpeas because they absorb the water overnight, Then in the morning rinse well and cook. For every cup of chickpeas, add two cups of water to a pot, turn the heat on so the water boils and then turn the heat on super low and cover. They may take about an hour but it's worth it. Make a ton of chickpeas at a time so you have them all ready to go. You will know when they are cooked when they are soft and easy to chew. Store in airtight glass containers.


I LOVE baking/roasting chickpeas after I spice them up. I love it so so much. I love snacking on them or adding them to salads for a crunchy crouton substitute. I decided to add miso paste to the chickpeas this time because miso is so good for you. It's fermented and good for digestion, it's salty and savory so that's all you really need for this recipe. Buy some miso paste and bring out your cooked chickpeas and you are set. I buy organic Eden brown rice miso paste on Amazon.

1 cup of chickpeas
1 tbsp of miso paste

Add the chickpeas to a big bowl and then add the miso paste. Mix the paste well with the chickpeas so that all the chickpeas are coated with miso. The miso paste is super salty so you won't need any sea salt or spice unless you absolutely want it! Pop the miso coated chickpeas into the oven on 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. The chickpeas will be crunchy but not burnt. Check on the chickpeas at the 30 minute mark to see if they are burning. Don't burn them :)

Transfer the roasted chickpeas to a medium sized glass bowl but don't cover until the chickpeas are completely cool. Put the lid on the container and store for about 2 days.

Did you like this post? Then subscribe to my blog and get all my posts by email!


Comments