Skip to main content

Chocolate Chip Walnut Muffins


I wanted to make muffins to change up my breakfast routine and to have a quick, healthy pre-run meal to grab and go. I don't eat much before a run so one of these muffins with a little bit of peanut butter fueled my long run yesterday. I haven't yet figured out what makes my long runs so good and what makes a run so so bad! My nutrition doesn't always stay the same, I eat different foods before a run and different calorie amounts but I'm realizing maybe less is more for a long run. A small healthy breakfast with protein, fat and carbs seems to work. And of course a ton of water, especially on these hot, humid days.


I made these muffins with whole wheat pastry flour, something I don't normally buy, but my friend gave me the flour and I didn't have enough oats to use for oat flour so there you have it. I tend to bake with gluten-free flours because they are healthier: rice, oat, garbanzo bean flours, they are delish and from natural food sources. You don't need to worry about bleaching or anything like that. These muffins came out great when I used the whole wheat pastry flour but, please, use whatever flour you desire. Oat flour is simply rolled or quick oats in the food processor, blended until it becomes flour.

1 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking powder
1 very ripe banana
3/4 cups of dairy free milk, I used unsweetened soy milk
1/4 cup of dairy free chocolate chips
1/2 cup of walnuts

Put all ingredients except the chocolate chips and walnuts into your food processor and process until it's a cake/muffin batter. Hand mix in the chips and walnuts. Pour into a cupcake pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Makes about 6-8 muffins. Top with peanut butter for a protein packed breakfast or snack.

Runners, what fuels your long runs? Do you eat a more balanced diet when you are training for a race? Comment below, I want to hear how your training is going!

For those of you who cycle or swim or do any other exercise, what do you eat to keep you going?

Did you like this post? Then subscribe to my blog and get all my posts by email!


Comments

  1. Hey, I just came across your Instagram account and really like your blog. As a fellow runner I would agree that fuel is a vital component as well as sleep!! I used to run with a small water bottle that I prepped with a big blob of honey or maple syrup. For distances up to 12 miles I might have a home made protein ball or rice cake with peanut butter and banana before and I don't need to carry water. For above 13 miles I make porridge at least an hour before and I'd carry a couple of dates or a squishy protein bar. I also use a vegan sports nutrition drink pre workout which definitely keeps my energy levels more consistent. I also use post workout drink to repair muscles and replenish salts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, these are great ideas! I need to start carrying gels and water with me since I'm at about 13 miles for my long training runs. Thank you so much for these fuel ideas! What is your next race?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...