Skip to main content

Rice Noodles, Potatoes and Leafy Greens in a Sweet and Sour Sauce


I have super sensitive skin. It gets red, itchy and dry very easily and it's been the source of much angst as I was growing up. I usually get flair-ups when the weather changes and extreme temperatures do nothing to help it! When I go home to PA, I get a facial when I can, which includes a hydrating peel, exfoliation and deep moisture (as well as an upper body massage!) One thing I've noticed over the past few months is if I drink my green smoothie or load up on the leafy greens, my skin will clear up. I used to rely on topical steroids but I prefer food as a natural medicine (plus steroids have major side effects!)

So, I have dry itchy skin again and today I started steaming the greens and I drank a green smoothie for breakfast-I swear my skin is less itchy already! I bought swiss chard and kale at the farmers market this week along with romaine and a ton of fruit. I love steaming greens, I love the deep green color they become when they are ready for consumption. I love dressing them up in sauce and spices and enjoying the taste of them. Have you ever just concentrated on how steamed greens taste? Plain steamed greens...they are delish and so nourishing. I made this dish without any oil or salt and I loved it. I must say, cooking without oil or salt can be tricky at first. I look to other vegans on Instagram to help me decide what to make without these ingredients. I also try to limit my fat throughout the day so many times I turn to avocado or tahini for a sauce but I had neither in my kitchen today. But still, this sauce is so flavorful and tasty that I didn't even need avo or tahini. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!

Sweet and sour sauce recipe:

2 cloves of garlic
4 chopped scallions
2 tsp of powdered ginger
3 tbsp of rice vinegar
5 orange cherry tomatoes
1 medjool date, pitted
1/4 cup of filtered water

Put everything in your food processor and process on high. Add the water slowly so you can make the sauce the consistency you wish. Set aside.

Wash and cut a red bliss potato into small pieces and steam with a handful of kale and 3 swiss chard leaves. Add a few leaves of parsley too. Steam everything until you can get a fork through the potato pieces and until the leaves of the greens are a bright green.

Make the rice noodles according to the package. Strain and put in a bowl. Add the greens and potato to the noodles and mix the sauce in, making sure you cover all the noodles and veggies.

Like this recipe and want more delivered to your inbox? Click here to sign up.

Comments