Skip to main content

Key Lime Pie


This pie is epic!! And it took me all of 10 minutes to make. I did a little bit of preparation the night before but I pretty much woke up, put the ingredients in my Cuisinart and here it is....the best looking and tasting key lime pie I've ever had (if I may say so myself!). Made with whole, natural ingredients and no added sugar, this pie will impress anyone at your table. The only sweetener is from fruit (dates) and I made the crust nut-free to cut down on fat.

Some preparation: the coconut cream I used was in liquid form due to the heat and humidity so I poured the cream into a glass bowl and refrigerated it so it became somewhat solid. Refrigerate the coconut cream the night before so it has all night to solidify. The day that you make your pie, soak about 7 dates and keep the rest out of the fridge. That's it, the rest is just using your food processor!

Crust ingredients:

1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
2 tbsp of chia seeds
2 tbsp of flaxseed meal
7 soaked dates, pitted

Filling ingredients:

2 cans of coconut cream (I used Trader Joe's)
Juice from 2-3 limes
2 tsp of vanilla extract
6 soft dates, pitted

In your food processor, blend the crust ingredients and press into a cake pan. I put wax paper on the bottom of a cake pan and this worked well. Make sure the crust is spread out and even. Blend the filling ingredients well, making sure everything is as smooth as possible. Spread the filling on top of the crust. Add a lime for decoration.

Notes: you can replace the dates in the filling with 1/2 cup of coconut sugar. Lime juice is bitter so taste the filling before you add more juice. If you love lime juice, add more. You can also refrigerate full fat coconut milk to use in place of the cream, which was basically what the coconut cream I used was since it was in liquid form. You can also add pecans or walnuts to the crust.


Keep the pie in the refrigerator and eat it as soon as possible; since it's made with all natural ingredients, you don't want it to change its taste or spoil. You can remove the wax paper and store the pie in a big glass dish or cut it up and freeze it. When taking it somewhere, make sure you put it right into the fridge until it's time to eat the pie, especially in hot and humid weather.


I'm super proud of this recipe and, without sounding like I'm bragging, it's the best keylime pie I've tasted! I was never a fan of this particular flavor but this turned out to be a winner.

Happy 4th of July to all who are celebrating! You can make your BBQ vegan in so many simple ways. Check out my labels to the right of this post for veggie burger recipes, dessert recipes and side dish recipes. How about my tahini potato salad???

Want my recipes delivered right to your inbox? Click here to sign up.





Comments