Skip to main content

Spinach and Potato Coconut Curry with Brown Rice


Just as I hit publish on my last post about sushi and writing about cooling summer foods, I'm posting this warming Indian dish! This dish is perfect for a cooler summer night or enjoying in the air conditioning haha. Not only is this dish served hot but the spices used are incredibly warming: turmeric, curry, cumin, so yum, so delicious and so good for you! I've read in a few places that turmeric can help prevent or slow down some cancers. There are always so many conflicting stories when it comes to health and wellness but either way, you can't lose out by using these spices in a dish, they are incredibly savory and practically eliminate the need for added salt. I must say, I made this dish yesterday even though the day was already warming up but it was delicious and satisfying nonetheless. 

This dish is another example of why you should make alot of rice at once so that you have it on hand when you need it. I made alot of brown rice and plan on using it for subsequent recipes later this week. I buy long grain organic brown rice in the bulk aisle at Whole Foods; I also buy oats and other grains there. Buying in bulk can save you money while giving you the chance to try different, new grains.

My friend and I looooove Indian food. We both stuffed ourselves last weekend at a yummy indian restaurant in downtown Manhattan and every bite was insanely awesome. It's so much fun when friends love to eat as much as you do lol. Anyway, after we got done there, I knew I was going to try to make the same dish I had in the restaurant. It was almost as good as the restaurant made it! So, without further delay, here you go :)

Recipe:

2 small or 1 large white or red organic potato
2 cups of organic spinach
1/2 cup of light coconut milk
1/2 cup to 1 cup of brown rice
2 tsp of curry
2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp of red pepper
1 tsp of sea salt
2 cloves of fresh garlic
2 tbsp of nutritional yeast

                                   

Cut up and steam the potatoes. Make the brown rice according to the package; I make 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water so that I have leftovers. Put the spinach and a little bit of water in your food processor and process on high to make a spinach sauce. Chop the two cloves of garlic into small pieces. Put the spinach sauce, fresh garlic, coconut milk and steamed potatoes in a pan and turn the heat on low. Add the spices and stir well. Taste every once in a while and add any additional spices you want. Add the nutritional yeast to thicken the sauce. Add the rice to the pan or serve separately. Pour the spinach and potato coconut curry into a bowl and serve with the rice; I added the rice to my bowl and ate everything together.

Like I said, this is so warming but so filling and healthy! Today, I'm having the leftover rice as a side with a big salad. 

Did you like Fabulous Vegan Recipes on facebook? Sometimes I post recipes there that I don't post here so head over there!

Comments

  1. this sounds good. Something new to try as well. thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome! I hope you try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...