Skip to main content

Vegan, Gluten-Free, Oil-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins


I planned to make these for a few months now, as long as my family's October weekend in the mountains was planned.  We went this past weekend and I made these muffins and the verdict, even from non-vegans, was deliciousness.  I had to repeat the recipe because the first batch was super mushy and undercooked (but yummy nonetheless).  I'm going to also write this blog post very fast because my laptop is totally on the fritz and I want to get this in while it's working!!!  Oh my it's terrible when technology dosesn't work :(


I have been craving chocolate chips muffins for some time now and while I researched the recipe ingredients, I came across another use for avocado-to replace oil in a recipe.  I was worried because avo is not a liquid like oil so I thought that I would need to add alot of milk, hence the undercooked result when I baked them the first time.

So, I used avocado, unsweetened applesauce, rolled oats and coconut sugar as the main ingredients for these muffins...I guess I had to balance all that healthy stuff with an overdose of chocolate chips, which is exactly what happened (I used Enjoy Life brand giant choco chips and the muffins were exploding with chocolate!)

So, I'm publishing this blog a day early because of my computer.  I have the Blogger app on my phone so I can blog anywhere but I can't rearrange the photos the way I like on the phone.  I'm sure you don't mind this deliciousness the night before.


Chocolate Chip Muffins:

2 cups of oat flour (2 cups of rolled oats in the food processor)
1/2 cup of coconut sugar
1 big avocado, mashed
6 oz of unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tbsp of coconut milk
1/2 bag or 1 cup of chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Brand)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Line a muffin or cupcake tray with cupcake wrappers. Cube and transfer your avocado to your food processor and process on high.  Put the avocado puree in a bowl.  Rinse your food processor.  Put the 2 cups of oats in your food processor to make the oat flour.  Transfer that to  the same bowl as the avocado.  Put the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix well.  It may seem too thick for muffin batter but it will be fine once baked.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes.  If you prefer to use oil, use 1/4 cup of light olive oil or coconut oil.  This recipe makes about 12 muffins depending on how much batter you use for each muffin.

Enjoy!!!  I ate waaaaaay too much of these over the weekend.

Are you following me on Instagram yet?  My username is foreverplantbased and I have totally awesome food pics, pics of my life and inspirational quotes.

Comments