Skip to main content

Creamy tofu with rice and barley


I came home from a run last night and I smelled the yummiest curry. I live in a condo so I can tell when my neighbors are feasting. It inspired me to make a creamy dish made of tofu and whole grains with some milk and the vegan cream cheese I have in my fridge. I scoured the internet for a good recipe, found one and modified it. I don't have curry powder but I had tumeric, cumin, ginger, garlic and more. This was a great dish, I taste tested more than I should have. I'm bringing it for lunch today. This dish is yellow because of the tumeric and it's super filling and nutritious. You can also substitute the tofu with a bean.


Here is what I did:
2 servings of tofu (6oz)
1 tbsp of coconut oil
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1/2 chopped onion
2/3 cup of non dairy milk
2 tbsp of vegan cream cheese or vegan butter
1/3 cup of rice
1/3 cup of barley
Tumeric
Ground cumin
Powdered or fresh ginger
Sea salt
Ground pepper

Cook the rice and barley together in a pot according to the package directions. Set aside
Put the coconut oil, fresh garlic, onion and tofu in a saucepan and let them sizzle. You want to slightly brown the tofu and bring out the smell and flavor of the garlic and onion.
Melt the cream cheese in the pan and stir into the tofu. Add the milk and all the spices. Keep stirring. The dish will be creamy and thick. Taste the tofu and add more spices if need be.
Lastly, add the rice and barley when they're done. You can mix everything together in the saucepan or serve the rice and barley on the side. I mixed everything.
I'm so excited to enjoy this for lunch today. I doubled the recipe so I have leftovers. I'm going to try a curry dish next. Vegan protein is so much fun!!!

Comments