Skip to main content

Pasta with Savory Chickpea Tomato Sauce


Ok, so this sauce (or gravy in Philly speak) came about completely by mistake. I was making oil-free hummus and messed up so I created this sauce and it is unbelievable delicious. I added some cool veggies to the hummus and it gives the sauce a veggie soup kind of taste. Why was I making oil-free hummus? I bought this fat-free hummus by mistake the other day but I ended up liking it (it was all the usual hummus ingredients except the olive oil). I made some at home but the consistency ended up being way off and it didn't look appetizing. Then I combine with the tomato sauce and it was just so amazing tonight for dinner. So, savor those mess-ups because you can just turn them into another dish!

This sauce is awesome on pasta-I used Barilla protein elbow macaroni. I also added tofu for an extra protein punch.

1/2 cup of cooked chickpeas
3 stalks of celery
3 slices of onion
2 cloves of fresh garlic
Juice from 1/2 lime
Sea salt to taste
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
1 serving of extra firm tofu
2 servings of pasta, cooked


Cook the pasta according to the package.
Cut the tofu into cubes and place in a medium pan.
Put the hummus ingredients in your food processor except the tomato sauce; you can add that later. Process the hummus, taste and add more salt if needed. Pour the hummus into the saucepan with the tofu and then add the tomato sauce. Heat and stir until the tofu and sauce are simmering. When the pasta is done, drain and pour it into a bowl then add the sauce and tofu. It's amaaaazing!



Comments