Skip to main content

Soba Noodles with Savory Sweet Potato Avocado Sauce


It's been a minute since I've blogged. It boggles my mind to look back and realize I used to blog three times a week! I miss those days when I had that vigor and enthusiasm for food and cooking and photographing said food. My goal for the rest of 2018 is to get back to blogging and find my love for developing recipes again! Are we really halfway through the year??


This recipe is a fantastic sauce that I made with my favorite food-sweet potato. I love making sauces with sweet potato as the base because it doesn't require a ton of spices. Sweet potatoes are amazingly savory and flavorful on their own so you don't need to add a ton of salt to make them pop. I love how sweet and savory they are.

A few notes about this recipe. Avocados taste different depending on how ripe they are etc and this particular avocado that I used tasted like avocado. It was a perfect avo, very green with no brown spots but it had a strong flavor which I was not looking for in the sauce. I masked the taste with some fresh lemon juice and all was well. So, depending on your avocado, you may not need so much lemon juice. You can also use less of the avocado. Or you can replace the avocado with olive or sunflower oil.


I did not peel the sweet potato. The skin is so healthy and I had no desire to peel the potato before making the sauce but if this is what you usually do, peel away! The spices that I use are just a guide or suggestion so use more or less or other spices that you love.

I used a ton of spinach! It was about to go bad so I used an entire container of organic spinach. It does shrink when you cook it, though, so it won't seem like too much when the dish is made.

I am officially marathon training which means clean food and lots of cooking on my end. I can't wait to share some of my favorite pre and post running recipes with you. I want to listen to my body when it comes to eating while also fueling it with healthy food that is going to take my workouts to the next level.

1 medium sweet potato, chopped and steamed
1/2 small avocado
2 cups of spinach
1 cup of water
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp of sea salt and pepper
Juice from 1/2 big lemon
2 cloves of garlic
Lots of nutritional yeast
1 serving of soba noodles, cooked

Combine the steamed sweet potato, avocado and all the spices in your food processor and process on high until it's a creamy sauce. You will need to add at least a cup of water but add it slowly. Add water to the food processor until the sauce thins out a little bit.


Pour the sauce into a large saucepan and turn the heat on medium. Add the spinach and more spices if needed. I added the nutritional yeast plus a little more garlic and pepper and the lemon juice. Add more water during this step and stir the sauce. The spinach will wilt and get smaller and the sauce will become thinner. Make the noodles according to the package. Once they are done, add them into the saucepan and mix everything together. Serve.

You will have leftover sauce if you make 1 serving of noodles. Add more lemon juice if you can taste the avocado. Also, omit the avocado and add 2 tbsp of olive oil to your food processor if you'd rather that.