Skip to main content

Creamy Vegan Pesto Sauce


I try to avoid buying bread because it's a trigger food for me...meaning I eat way too much of it. However, whenever I buy avocados and don't have bread, I'm kinda like...now what? If I had bread, I would make avocado toast in the morning, usually for breakfast. I had two beautiful avocados and no bread so I made this pesto sauce last night. There is nothing more awesome than a beautiful avocado, one that should not go waste, one that has no brown spots and is the perfect texture. One that should be savored as much as possible, usually on bread or in a salad. But when you don't have the ingredients for either of those, make pesto sauce.

Along with these beautiful avocados, I also had just a handful of greens-spinach and arugula-which was not enough for a salad. Tomorrow is farmers market day so I'll be stocking up again. This sauce is made with a ton of greens, some lemon juice and I threw in some cashews for added creaminess but if you are cutting down on fat, you most definitely can eliminate the cashews. Avocado and cashews kind of do the same thing in a sauce, they thicken and make the sauce creamy. Cashews are another ingredient I could go on and on about but let me just say, I love them. I make salad dressing, sauces and cheese with them and they are just amazing and versatile. Pick up some raw cashews next time you are at the market, you can do so much with them.


1 cup of spinach or mixed greens
1/2 avocado
1/4 cup of soaked cashews
2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
2 tsp of sea salt
2 tbsp of hemp seeds
1/4 cup of unsweetened dairy-free milk
2 cloves of fresh garlic
Juice from 1 small lemon

Soak the cashews in hot water for a few hours. Drain them and rinse them well. Put everything in your food processor and process on high until it's a smooth, creamy blend. Add more milk or water if needed to thin out. I put this sauce on macaroni and had some left over.


People on my mailing list got this recipe in their inbox last week. Want in? Click on the link above that says join my mailing list and get new recipes FIRST!



Comments