Skip to main content

Smoothie for Sore Muscles


Let me start out by saying that I'm not a doctor or a registered dietitian so I cannot cure your sprains, strains, muscle soreness etc with anything I say on this blog. I can only speak from my own experience about how foods effect me so please ask a nutritionist if you need clinical facts about food. It always seems to come down to the same foods when you're having a problem like muscle cramps, feeling down, detoxing, feeling too tired: berries, cinnamon, nuts and seeds. These foods have antioxidant properties and help reduce inflammation. So, whatever issue you are having, you may already be eating the ingredients that are in this smoothie. Just eat healthy, whole foods and you will probably end up feeling your best!


I ran 11 miles on Monday morning and since then my mood has hit a wall. The run took alot of energy out of me, causing me to feel super tired the rest of Monday, which wasn't out of the ordinary. However Tuesday I still felt tired and my left achilles, which has caused me problems in the past, felt stiff and slightly sore. I stretched and took it easy. I wasn't sleeping well all week and I started a new meditation schedule. It's Thursday and I still haven't run yet to give my leg a break. I biked, the sunshine makes me so happy but I'm anxious about my leg and a few other things happening. I'm trying to remember that everything I put in my mouth will help my running, my body, my muscles and my mood. I started doing some internet research on what foods can help your muscles recover from strenuous exercise and I wasn't surprised with what I saw. So I made this smoothie and it was delish!

1/2 cup of cherries
1/2 cup of blueberries
1 frozen banana
2 tsp of cinnamon
1.5 cups of organic soymilk
2 tbsp of chia seeds


Mix everything in your high speed blender and serve immediately. Drink as your post workout snack before you eat a satisfying full meal. This smoothie yields about 2-3 cups. All of the ingredients have recovery properties because they are filled with antioxidants and plenty of vitamins and minerals. This smoothie also has all of the macro nutrients, protein, healthy fat and carbs as well as fiber.

So what do I eat when I want to feel my best? Berries, leafy greens, the least amount of sugar possible, avocados and whole grains.

Did you like this post? Then subscribe to my blog and get all my posts by email!


Comments

  1. Sounds like a delicious smoothie! When I'm not feeling my best I do whatever I can to not eat any added sugar. I know that is what drains me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I've been watching my sugar portions and even not going nuts with the fruit. Thanks for your sweet comment!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...