Skip to main content

Six Fantastic Meals to Fuel Your Long Run


Running takes alot of effort and planning in order to keep your body healthy and strong. There are so many aspects of running to think about but no one is more important than the other. Running requires healthy muscles, bones, clean nutrition and a healthy state of mind: confident, positive and strong. To be the best runner you can be is to think about all of the ways it will take for you to feel your best. It's also important to remember that not every runner looks the same; it matters how you feel.

I'm a nervous runner; I even get nervous before training runs and I worry about everything, what if I don't finish the run, what if I get tired, thirsty, injured and I also worry about eating the right foods before a run. You want to choose a pre-run meal that includes some fat, protein and healthy carbs like fruit but make sure not to overeat. I choose breakfasts that don't require too much chewing and digesting so check out the recipes and pics below for my favorite workout meals.

Chia Seed Pudding
Reset Green Smoothie
Chocolate Banana Spinach Smoothie
Trail Mix Bites
Chocolate Chickpea Pudding
Frozen Banana and Peanut Butter Sandwiches (pictured)


You can do any variations of these breakfasts. For instance, instead of the frozen banana sandwiches, eat a fresh banana with almond butter and maybe a date or two. If portions are too big, cut them in half; only drink half the green smoothie. You can also have a protein bar (make sure it's 200-250 calories) or, if you're used to it, a small bowl of oatmeal or a slice of whole grain toast with some nut butter. Eat whatever you normally eat before a training run so that you aren't changing your routine on race day; it's important to stay consistent and not try anything new.


Chia seeds have protein and omegas so these little guys are great to include in your breakfast cereal or smoothie. Along with your pre-run meal, it's important to drink plenty of water; I drink three big mason jars of water daily and I try to drink one jar before a run, especially if it's a humid day.

I have a few recipe links above. It may be a good idea, especially if you are a planner, to write down a few breakfast ideas and prepare them the night before a run so that you don't need to worry breakfast. If you are running in hot and humid weather, hydrate the night before and hydrate before the run while eating a little bit of food. Listen to your body; eating just a little bit before a run then eating during the run may work better than if you ate more before the run. Choosing clean ingredients full of protein, healthy fat and carbs is going to work best for most of us.

Nutrition is only one aspect of running; keeping your muscles, tendons, bones and fascia healthy is another aspect. I would encourage you to visit a physical therapist or find a running coach if you are experiencing any aches or pains during your runs; catching an injury early will shorten your recovery time. I am still coming off of an achilles injury and plan on visiting a sports medicine doctor when I'm home over the July 4th holiday. I ran 7 miles yesterday and was experiencing some achilles discomfort for about a half mile. I did two gentle yoga stretches and walked up all remaining hills and I started feeling better. It was a slow 7 mile run but I did it and I was happy. I ate a banana with peanut butter before the run and drank 32 ounces of water and only needed two water stops during the run-thank goodness for Central Park water fountains!

What is your favorite pre-run meal? Runners, feel free to comment and let me know how training is going!

Love this post? Sign up to get all my posts delivered right to your inbox!















Comments