Skip to main content

Broccoli and Chickpea Curry


I bought a ton of chickpeas in the bulk aisle of Whole Foods yesterday, so much so that I balked at the price when I weighed them. But bulk is the best way to go in Whole Foods and their food is organic and $8 worth of chickpeas is a ton of chickpeas. I cooked a ton of them tonight so that I have alot left over to do whatever I feel like, sometimes I cover them in spices and bake them for a crunchy salad topping, sometimes I make hummus, sometimes I make cookie dough or pudding, the possibilities are endless with chickpeas. That's why I love them, they are versatile and packed with nutrients like protein and fiber. Chickpeas > chicken.


I had a lemon pasta recipe written on my blog to-do list this weekend but I need two more ingredients for it so I'm making it tomorrow. The light was fading fast when I started cooking so I made this dish for dinner and quickly photographed it...but the light is not that great so I'm not in LOVE with these photos. I took them outside on my fire escape hence the street in the background. And speaking of photos, I need to buy a new camera, a good one so I can start taking higher quality photos and start photographing recipes for my cookbook. By the way, May 2nd was the day I decided I wanted to do a follow up cookbook to my 2013 ebook. I want to do an cookbook of dessert recipes and I've already started making notes and lists with all the recipes. Why did I wait 3 years for another book? Because I have this nagging thought in my head that it won't be popular, it won't be a good book, it won't be well received, it's too big of a dream, crazy, ridiculous self-deprecating stuff. So, I'm going for it. I want to hold one of my books in my hand. I can already see the cover and I'm loving the recipes. Stay tuned!


I bought coconut milk again after going on a hiatus from it and the frozen organic broccoli in my freezer was calling my name so I combined everything along with some AMAZING spices and made this dish. Today I ran 6 miles, stopped at the farmers market to drop off my food scraps and to buy pea shoots and a lettuce mix, met my friend at a vegan pop-up shop in Brooklyn, bought some conditioner and deodorant (both vegan and cruelty-free) and now I'm relaxing with some Netflix and my blog. A rockin Saturday night...life is all about balance though, right?

This recipe is pretty simple, the longest part is cooking the chickpeas so if you have them already to go, this will take you about 10-15 minutes.

1 cup of light canned coconut milk
1/2 cup of chickpeas
1/2 cup of organic broccoli, steamed
2 tsp of curry powder
2 tsp of coriander
2 tsp of ground cumin
1 tbsp of ground or fresh garlic
2 tsp of sea salt
2 tsp of lemon pepper

Steam your broccoli and cook your chickpeas. Pour the coconut milk into a small pan and turn the heat on medium. Add all of the spices and taste, adding more of a spice as you see fit. Stir the milk slowly and don't let it bubble, you just want it to simmer. Add the chickpeas and broccoli and stir well. Let sit for about 5 minutes so all the flavors blend together and then turn off the heat. Pour into a bowl and serve; I had leftovers.

Notes: if you don't have all the spices, that's ok, add the ones you have. Use any veggie you want; spinach is good for this recipe too. You can half the recipe or double it depending on how much you want left over or how many people you are serving. This is such a savory dish.

By the way, the pasta recipe IS coming this week so don't worry. I will get all the ingredients tomorrow and get to work, hopefully in better light!

Want my blog posts delivered right to your inbox? Click here to sign up!


Comments