Skip to main content

The BEST Veggie Burger Meal Ever!


Happy Friday!  So, I start my yoga teacher training on June 5th and I want to detox and lose some more weight before I start.  I'm going back on strict 80% raw; I'm going to do 2 raw ingredients to one cooked.  Inspired by a fellow IGer!!  Tonight for dinner I wanted a veggie burger but I don't keep hamburger buns in my house except for rare occasions so I thought why not use lettuce?!  It was awesome! 


My last batch of veggie burgers had sweet potato and beans and kale along with some spices and garlic but I had some organic sweet corn and some spinach I needed to use.  I steamed the spinach and corn and went from there.  These burgers came out great; they didn't fall apart too much, it was mainly the corn that got away from the burger.  This recipe made four medium sized burgers.

Burger recipe:

1/4 of a bag of frozen sweet corn, steamed
2 cups of organic fresh spinach
1 cup of black beans
1/3 cup of nutritional yeast
1 cup of oat flour
3 cloves of fresh garlic
Himalayan sea salt

Add the black beans and chopped fresh garlic to a medium sized bowl while you steam the corn and spinach.  Put 1 cup of oats in your food processor and process on high until you get flour.  Add 1/2 of the oat flour and nutritional yeast to the bowl of beans and garlic.  When the corn and spinach is done steaming, add them to the bowl.  Add some sea salt and mix all the ingredients.  You will need to add some filtered water to the mixture to make the flour pasty so the ingredients stick together.  Add the rest of the oat flour and nutritional yeast and mix well.  You should get a pasty mixture now.  Put the bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes.

While the burger ingredients are firming up in the freezer, get out a large saucepan and spray with coconut (or other) oil.  Take the burger ingredients out of the freezer and form into patties.  You can make small or large ones, depending on what you like.  Place the burgers into the sauce pan and heat on low for 10 minutes on each side.  Be careful flipping them over because they may fall apart slightly. 

Wash some organic romaine lettuce leaves and cut off four of the big leaves.  Put the burger on two of the leaves and cover the burger with the other two leaves.  I put tahini sauce on mine and ate it like a hamburger on a bun.  It was so delicious and filling!

Veggie burgers take a little patience: patience to get the mixture pasty enough to form into patties and patience while you're cooking the burger since it may fall apart.  Even if they don't end up being perfectly formed burgers, you can still enjoy them if they are broken up.  Experiment with different beans, add some potatoes, different veggies, herbs and spices.  You can make 1000 different veggie burgers if you have an infinite amount of time!

Comments

  1. I bet the small amount of corn adds just the right amount of sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does! They are one of my favorite veggie burger recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...