Skip to main content

Lentil Beet Veggie Burger


I've been craving a veggie burger for a while now but today I decided to do something about it! I ran to Trader Joe's and bought whole wheat hamburger buns, beets, lentils and sweet potatoes and went nuts when I went home.


These hamburgers look like beef when they're cooking because of the red "raw" beet color. They are also pretty easy to make and I figured out a way to make them so they don't fall apart. I pan fried them in coconut oil and devoured one immediately after making!
I started out with a big bowl, my new stainless steel pan with coconut oil in it and scallions and spices. I bought ready to eat beets and lentils at Trader Joe's so no cooking needed. I also put some oats in the food processor to make oat flour. Lastly, I put 3 tsp of flaxseed meal in 2 tbsp of water and put it in the fridge for 5 minutes.

In the bowl, I added 2 cups of lentils (ready to eat), 4 beets (peeled), chopped scallions, chopped garlic, basil, oregano, sea salt, pepper, cumin. I added the flaxseed/water mixture and the oat flour so that the mixture became slightly pasty. The idea is to make the burger mixture sticky so it doesn't crumble in the pan. After mixing everything together, I put the veggie burger mixture outside ( ha, it's colder than my freezer!). After 10 minutes, I brought the mixture inside and formed it into burgers. I cooked the burgers in coconut oil on low heat until I could flip them easily. They cook very well.
Keep flipping, add a dash of some more seasonings if you want and then turn off the heat. Store the burgers in an air tight container and refrigerate or freeze.

I added a slice of Daiya cheese to my burger, sliced tomato and spicy mustard. I also boiled a sweet potato and had that as a side. Topped with nooch of course! The burger was so good I'm having another one for breakfast! The burger is also gluten free and if you buy GF buns, the whole meal will be.
Leave a comment if you try this! I hope you love it :)
XOXO,
Nicole

Comments