Skip to main content

How to make a delicious oat breakfast


Hey everyone...I'm sure you're aware of my obsession with oats...I make them pretty much every morning in one form or another and I'm always pairing them with fruit. I wanted to talk about how I make them so that you can get creative and use my recipe as a base and then add anything you want to them. Some people love them plain (like my mom), others love to add fruit, I love to add fruit, flavoring, peanut butter etc. I love them to be decadent! So here is my base oatmeal recipe and a few pics.

Oatmeal recipe:
1/2 cup of oats
1 cup of filtered water (or coconut water)
A splash or two of non dairy milk
Protein powder (optional)
Add your 1/2 cup of oats to a small saucepan and turn the heat on low/medium. Add the cup of water and make sure the oats are fully submerged. Cook until the oats have absorbed most of the water and then add your splash of milk. The oats will be thick and still moist. You want to find that fine balance between the oats absorbing most but not all of the water and not becoming too dry.


Stir in your protein powder or cacao powder while the oats are still in the pan. Add more milk if needed. Transfer the oats to your mason jar or bowl and add your toppings: fruit, peanut or almond butter, coconut flakes, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, the possibilities are endless. Instead of adding protein powder to the oats, I sometimes add it to a banana in my food processor and make a vanilla or chocolate banana puree. Then I put that on top of my oats for a different flavor and texture. I may also combine a banana and strawberries in my food processor and top the oats with that. There is so much you can do.



Overnight oats is the same recipe as well. 1/2 cup of oats combined with 1 cup of nondairy milk in the fridge overnight. You can also add fruit to it so the fruit flavors seep into the oats overnight. This recipe is great if you have no time in the morning.




Comments