Skip to main content

Chocolate Olive Oil Cake (vegan, gluten-free)


This chocolate olive oil cake recipe is not mine but I veganized it and have made it several times. It's so delicious and does not require icing-it's THAT good! You just need to replace one ingredient to make it vegan. It can be made gluten-free if you use GF all-purpose flour or almond/oat flour.

The original recipe is by Nigella Lawson and can be found here. I saw the cake on another blogger's Instagram and just had to make it. The idea of olive oil being a main ingredient in a cake is very appealing to me. I only ever buy extra virgin olive oil, which has a very strong taste but it does work in this recipe. The batter is strong tasting but once you bake the cake, all you can taste is chocolate. I replaced the 3 eggs with 1 very ripe banana. I used both whole wheat flour and oat flour (gluten-free) two different times that I made this cake. If you use a liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, add a tiny bit more flour to your batter.



If you want to add icing, here are some of my recipes:

Maple Buttercream Icing

Cream Cheese Icing

Raw Chocolate Icing

Pink Buttercream Icing (cherry sweetened)

Comments