Skip to main content

Kale Dijon Potato Salad


I bought a big bag of white potatoes at Trader Joe's because they didn't have any sweet potatoes (that happens alot at the Union Square store?).  They are organic and super delish; I've been steaming them for potato salad.  I made a pumpkin potato salad (recipe coming soon, I want to tweak it) and I made a Dijon potato salad with fermented garlic and spices that I'm going to post for you here.  I plan on using the potato salad as a filler for my spring rolls and sushi rolls that I'm getting back to making today.


It's an overcast day today in NYC; it's our last warmer day before a cold front moves in apparently on friday.  I don't mind the cold; I love warm drinks and soups and my apt has furnace heat so it's impossible to be cold.

As I write this, I'm sipping some caffeine free tea; trying to start my mornings with tea to kind of detox and give my body a chance to wake up.  Of course I was thinking about making cupcakes this morning too (don't look at Instagram as you wake up!).

So, this recipe includes fermented garlic, the black garlic I posted about a few entries back.  It has a sweeter taste and is less potent than regular fresh garlic.  Use whatever garlic you want but give the fermented garlic a try if you can (it's sold at Trader Joe's).

Dijon Potato Salad:

3 red or white potatoes, cut into small pieces
3 cloves of fermented garlic
1 cup of kale, chopped and steamed
3 tsp of lemon pepper
2 tbsp of dijon mustard
3 tsp of powdered or fresh ginger
1 tsp of sea salt
Filtered water
Juice from 1/2 small lemon

Cut your potatoes and place them in a steamer.  Steam them until you get a fork through then easily. You will also need to steam the kale so add the cup of kale in with your potatoes.  While steaming your potatoes and kale, make the Dijon sauce.  Put the mustard, lemon juice, ginger, a clove of garlic, sea salt and lemon pepper in your food processor.  Put a few drops of filtered water in and process on high. Use more water if you want to dilute the sauce further.

Once your potatoes and kale are done, put them in a large bowl and pour the sauce over them. Garnish with a few more pieces of fermented garlic.  Add some cumin or a little red pepper if you prefer your dish spicy.  Enjoy!

Eat as is or use it as a spring roll or sushi filling.  I know potato salad seems to be a summer food but this is a perfect holiday dish; you can substitute sweet potatoes for this recipe also.  Add a few pieces of butternut squash too.

What is your favorite holiday dish to bring with you to festivities?

Comments