Skip to main content

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies


These cookies looked good and the cookie dough was delish but when baked, the cookies were tough and rubbery. I used gluten-free flour from Trader Joe's and I don't think that flour was best for cookies. I usually use oat flour or a mixture of oat and garbanzo or another gluten-free flour...and I'm not gluten-free, per se, I just usually end up being gluten-free by default; it just seems to go well with being vegan. So, for this recipe, you can use regular all purpose flour, I just want to be able to make these GF and have them turn out fabulously. Also, I didn't have baking powder so that may have thrown the cookies off as well.

I'm usually not a cookie person; I'd rather have cake if i'm going to give into my sugar craving. But I am surrounded by cookies at Christmas parties and they are so much easier to make than cake so I figured why not make a batch of decadent chocolate chip cookies. My friend Beth, who also has a blog, made chocolate chip cookies with the new vegan egg so check out her recipe. It's slightly different than mine and her cookies look so scrumptious. Beth is vegan and gluten-free so check out her blog!

Trader Joe's semi sweet chocolate chips are, indeed, dairy free...something I did not know. They MAY contain traces of milk but honestly I don't worry about that, as long as there is not a form of dairy in the ingredients, I'm set. I made two batches of these cookies and the second batch turned out great when I used oat flour. Be careful with what flour you choose; use a flour that you've used before when baking cookies. I used pumpkin instead of a banana or applesauce and I put a ton of chocolate chips in them! For the oat flour, I just put rolled oats in my food processor and they become flour.

Ingredients:

2 cups of oat flour
1 cup of Earth Balance non dairy butter
1/2 cup of organic pumpkin puree
2 tsp of baking powder
1 1/2 cups of coconut sugar
2 tsp of vanilla
2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1 bag of chocolate chips
1/4 cup of non dairy milk

Combine everything except the chocolate chips and milk in a large bowl. Hand mix everything together and slowly add the milk, mixing the entire time. Stir in the chocolate chips; the mixture should be thick cookie dough when you are done mixing. Taste it; add more sugar but it should be sweet enough. For some reason, I thought this recipe needed more sugar but it's personal preference.

After mixing all the ingredients, use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out the dough and put on a non stick cookie sheet. Scoop out all of the cookie dough; you should have at least 20 cookies. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes and then let them cool. Serve for Christmas dessert, pack them in a Christmas tin to give out for a gift or bring them to work! Or eat them all by yourself lol

Notes: Instead of pumpkin, use a mashed banana. Instead of coconut sugar, use 1/4 cup of maple syrup but eliminate the milk. Bake until they are slightly brown on the edges but don't overdo. I like cookies a little underbaked so they are soft the next day.

Like me on Facebook! Would love to hear your comments and questions.

Comments

  1. You need to make these next time you visit your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will :) They will be great for the holidays too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...