Skip to main content

Brown Rice and Veggie Lettuce Tacos


How do you eat tacos without eating a ton of bread? Lettuce! Leaves of fresh, organic romaine lettuce. So yum, so delish and zero calories, zero gluten, etc. My mom visited over the last few days and brought me groceries from Trader Joe's and a new cast iron pot. She also bought me a Cuisinart food processor which I'm obsessed with. We made tacos on Tuesday night with corn tacos and meatless beef and they were just insanely yum. So since I splurged the last two days, I decided to make tacos with a raw shell. For the filling, I steamed collard greens and mixed them with brown rice and tons of lovely spices.

I'm kind of all over with eating, it's too hot to cook but lately I've done it anyway. I've also been on a smoothie kick so I've made (and bought) a few of them. I haven't felt like eating because of the heat but whenever my mom comes I splurge so my appetite picked up the last two days. I've been lifting weights everyday, doing a few different muscle groups each day and doing 40 reps of each exercise; I already see results which is so rewarding but I continue to avoid the scale, it really messes with my head. My mentality lately is enjoy life, eat what you want in moderation, squash the guilty feelings and move move move! Life is too short to worry about everything.

So, the filling for these tacos was yum and I want to pass it on. Get your rice cooker out if you have one and go to town! To go with these tacos, I steamed Trader Joe's veggie dumplings (another thing my mom brought me) because they are insanely good and I wanted some!

Taco filling recipe:

3/4 cup of brown rice, cooked 
2 cups of collard greens (or any leafy green)
2 tsp of curry powder
1/2 tsp of red pepper
2 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of sea salt

Cook the rice according to the package and steam the greens until tender and bright green in color. Transfer the cooked rice and steamed greens to a pot and turn the heat on low; add each of the spices and stir. Spray some coconut oil in the pan to keep everything moist. Stir the contents in the pot until the spices are mixed well.

Wash and dry 4-5 organic romaine lettuce leaves and set on a plate. Scoop the rice and greens mixture onto each of the lettuce leaves. Steam the dumplings and serve together. YUM!!!

I'm still working on the plant based cooking class on Rouxbe.com so I hope to have some brand new recipes in the coming weeks. Stay tuned and have a fabulous weekend!

If you want my recipes delivered to your inbox, sign up here 



Comments