Skip to main content

Sweet Potato and Chickpea Salad


This was just an amazing dish of loveliness!  Summer is just around the corner-we had pretty hot weather the last two days.  Summer makes me think of lots of fruit, grilling, potato salad, cold pasta salad, popsicles, fresh lemon juice etc etc....so many awesome refreshing foods and drinks.  This potato salad is one of my favorites and one of the best I've ever tasted may I add :)  You will never think of adding mayo again!  This one has mustard and dill, two very savory ingredients that make this potato salad pop.  I'm making more so I can have leftovers.

Pretty soon I will be cooking fulltime in my kitchen in NYC.  I signed a lease for an awesome apartment on the Upper East Side.  It's got gorgeous natural light so I can take awesome photos, it's got a cute gas stove and it's in the cutest neighborhood.  I plan on working on the rest of my Italian cookbook there. I plan on doing a lot of running around my neighborhood and of course eating in a lot of restaurants!  I'm near 6 vegan restaurants!!  Whoo hoo :)

So, without further delay, here is the recipe for my potato salad.  Adding the chickpeas is optional.

1 sweet potato, steamed
2 cups of fresh kale, steamed
1/2 cup of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. of spicy mustard
1 tbsp. of olive oil
Dried dill
Sea salt
Nutritional yeast (optional)

Omit the chickpeas if you just want to make potato salad.  I added the chickpeas for some protein and to fill me up.  Cut up the sweet potato (or potatoes) and steam them along with the kale.  I just steamed them both at the same time in the same steamer basket.  While they steam, make the potato salad dressing.

Dressing: combine the garlic, mustard, olive oil, dill, sea salt and a little water in your food processor and process on high.  Add more water to thin it out.  If you are steaming more than one sweet potato, double the dressing recipe.  If you're making a lot of potato salad, make enough dressing to cover all the potatoes.

Once the potatoes and kale are done (make sure you can stick a fork through the potato slices), transfer the potatoes into a bowl and pour the dressing on top of the potatoes.  Mix well, covering all the potato pieces in dressing.  Scoop the potato salad on top of the kale and top with nutritional yeast, if you want.

This is a great dish to take to a picnic or to make for sunday dinner.  You can eat it cold and make it with other potatoes.  Any time I can use sweet potatoes, I will use them-I'm obsessed!!

Leave a comment if you make this dish, I would love to hear what you think!  I'm also on Instagram as thefabulousvegan, Twitter as thefabvegan and I have a facebook page for FVR.

My facebook page is going to be a year old on May 18th so pop on over to fb and like it!  I would love to get 2000 likes by the end of May :)  Share with your friends and family.  I update the page with my blog updates and I share little health tidbits and food FYIs.




Comments